python "jump" or "goto" commands?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 31 19:26:33 EDT 2001

Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> writes:

> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:14:44PM -0700, eric_brake wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know if python has commands similar to "jump" or "goto".
>
> Nope. _Technically_, the bytecode support is available (because it's
> necessary for some other constructs), but there is no way to emit that
> bytecode in Python code.

Tricky, though; blocks get in the way.  So you couldn't reasonably do this:

goto bob
label bab

for i in l:
    label bob
    goto bab

or for try/except/finally blocks.  Not that this is relavent to, well,
anything, really...

Cheers,
M.

--
  ... so the notion that it is meaningful to pass pointers to memory
  objects into which any random function may write random values