Redhat 7.1 and Python 2.1

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Thu May 24 17:50:13 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:36:54PM -0600, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> "C.L" <no at spam.org> writes:
>
> > - Why doesn't Redhat ship with Python 2.1?  The 1.5.2 it ships with
> > is a little dated isn't it?
> Yes, totally.

> The reasons according to a couple RedHat developers are:

>   "Compatibility - the newer versions aren't compatible with 1.5, and
>    they don't even store modules in the same location."

>   "Binary compatibility issues. We don't break binary compatibility in
>    a minor release, and the binary format for python modules has
>    changed."

I find it terribly amusing how those two 'problems' cancel each other out.
Binary compatibility shouldn't be an issue because modules are stored in
different locations anyway! It's really not that hard to ship both python1.5
and python2.0 (and python2.1, and python2.1.1, and ... ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>