wanted book recommendation for Object Oriented Programming

Nicola Musatti objectway at divalsim.it
Tue May 29 04:31:27 EDT 2001

Laura Creighton wrote:
[...]
>     Design Patterns
>     Design Patterns SmallTalk Companion
>     The Practice of Programming
>     The Python Standard Library (Fredrik Lundh's book is out)
>
> of their very own to keep.  (And if Beazley's Essential Reference for
> 2.0 ever gets out of the publishers they will get that as well.)
> But I have found a hole.  I need a book every bit as excellent
> (and terse) as the rest of my list that teaches Object Oriented
> Programming to somebody who has never studied it.  If you know the
> books I listed, you will know the sort I want ... and if you _don't_
> know the books I listed do yourself a big favour make a present of
> them to yourself.

I wish I knew a satisfactory answer to your question, and I'm eager to
read the other answers you'll get. The best suggestion I can come up
with is "Object Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications", 2nd
ed., by Grady Booch.

I think this book is good at explaining what Object Orientation is
about, but it's more focused on analysis and design than on programming,
and it spends too many pages on the description of a development
process. I believe that the material covered in parts of the book does
fill a hole in your list, but it doesn't exactly match your
requirements.

Moreover, a third edition of the book is about to be published; from
what I gathered, there's a high chance that it will be high on hype
content, as most of the recent works by Booch, Rambaugh and Jacobson.
Too bad.

Best regards,
Nicola Musatti