Small, Local Web/CGI Server Advice

Sloth mt_horeb at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 08:35:45 EDT 2001

I'm attempting to create my first major Python app for a company that
wants to run Web (HTML) pages and CGI scripts on their salespeople's
laptop computers.  Basically, the salesperson would run a local Web
server that allows for basic CGI scripts to be run.  The customer is
pushing hard that they want to use their Web browser as the client and
to have a local server serving CGI/HTML that also is running on that
laptop (that wouldn't have been my first choice, but those are the
constraints I'm working with...)

I've tried to use CGIHTTPServer, but I am having problems getting that
to work on Windows ME/98 (using ActiveState Python 2.1 - HTML is
served just fine, but CGIs cause EXPLORER to crash).  Any advice on a
small, preferably Python based Web server that I can run that will
support CGI?  I'd love to use something like Medusa if I could figure
out how to get it to support CGIs.  I really don't want to use a
'large' server like Apache, since I'm really just trying to run a
lightweight server.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jeremy.