Help: How to check if remote computer is running

Marten Hedman marten at btk.utu.fi
Thu May 10 09:32:30 EDT 2001

Hi

I would like to do some remote administration on about 60 WinNT 4
workstations with a Python script (Python 2.1, Win32 extensions build
139). How do I check if a remote computer is up and running from this
script? If I just try to, for instance, connect to the registry of the
remote computer, the timeout is very long if the machine is shut down.

Thanks for any help

Yours

Marten Hedman
Mårten Hedman                      phone: +358-(0)2-333 8037
System Administrator               fax:   +358-(0)2-333 8000
Turku Centre for Biotechnology     Marten.Hedman at btk.utu.fi
Turku, Finland                     http://www.btk.utu.fi/~marten