Range Operation pre-PEP

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Fri May 11 17:07:43 EDT 2001

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:

> Douglas Alan keeps on babbling:

Perhaps you should treat people who disagree with you with more
respect.

> if you're so experienced in Python as you say you are, maybe you can
> prove me wrong, by posting some code where you use lists and tuples
> the "wrong" way, and show that it won't work better if done the
> other way around.

I don't have to post any code -- I can just refer you to way Python
itself works.  Why do excess parameters get put into a tuple rather
than a list?  Excess parameters are not of a fixed length, and they
are more typically homogeneous than heterogeneous.  The tuple
containing the excess parameters is acting as a "container" and not a
"record".