Do you have Standards Committee in your language?

Scott Steinman steinman at midsouth.rr.com
Tue May 22 19:56:57 EDT 2001

In article <3B0A6123.FB351548 at my-deja.net>, Just_Curious
<Just_Curious at my-deja.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> Thinking about role of Standards Committee in my favorite
> language (Fortran) I decided to hear advice from folks in other
> languages first.
>
> What is the role of Your Language committee?

Prograph does not have an official Standards Committee. The language at
present is still proprietary. However, the Open Prograph Initiative, a
group of dedicated Prograph users, is working on a new set of standard
libraries (the Application Builder Classes) using the open-source library
code provided by pictorius, the manufacturer of Prograph.

> Does Your Committees expand horizons and enlightens compiler
> developers with their recommendations? Or opposite,
> not being creative, they are working like brake for language
> development and experimenting and eventually are bad for
> users?

The compiler is not open-source (yet) so there are no independent compiler
developers.

> Do you think that compiler vendors and users themselves are not
> able to maintain backward compatibility without such committees?

Our open-source group, which is composed of users, is maintaining backward
compatibility.

> And in general, do you see some analogies between Language Committees
> and other regulations in other areas of real life, on the net etc ?

Standards Committees have their place for well-established mature
languages. They are not as necessary for younger, more dynamic languages.
I see them as being analogous to ANSI, which ensures that products of all
sorts live up to standards -- i.e., not by regulation but by alerting the
user to products that meet vs. do not meet the standard.

Dr. Scott Steinman