Which GUI Lib?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed May 16 16:58:22 EDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Tom Jenkins wrote:

> There's something to check with BlackAdder and Qt.  Borland's Kylix (and
> forthcoming Delphi 6) uses Qt as its widget set.  Borland wraps the Qt
> widgets in its own framework called CLX.  The license you get with Kylix
> and Delphi 6 would allow you to use Qt only through CLX.  Given this
> wrinkle with Borland, I wonder if there is something similar with
> BlackAdder?

I don't know anything about Kylix: I think it's silly to try and sell a
proprietary wrapping of Qt for Linux, since Qt itself is ultra-cool and
fun to use, and _free_ on Linux... I mean, Borland can tell you not to use Qt
except via CLX, but what does that mean when there's a Qt development package
for _every_ distribution under the sun?

As for BlackAdder, the Qt library is wrapped in Python, but using it from
Python is about the same as using it from C++. The GUI designs you
produce with BlackAdder (.ui XML files), you can easily convert to C++
using uic - which comes with Qt, and is free for Linux. The very same C++ source
code that uic on Linux generates, you can compile on Windows.

However, on Windows, you cannot create C++ apps with the Qt library that
comes with BlackAdder, because of the lack of header files. You can only
create Python apps with it. There's a serious differnce in price between
BlackAdder and Qt for Windows - about $1100,-.

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org | Christos Voskrese!