Range Operation pre-PEP

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri May 11 13:07:51 EDT 2001

Rainer Deyke wrote:

> > erm.  since when are the arguments to a function almost certainly
> > homogenous?
>
> I can't think of a single function in the standard library which takes an
> unbounded number of heterogenous arguments.  I can think of several which
> take an unbounded number of homogeneous arguments.  'min' and 'max' for
> example.

a quick grep through the 2.0 standard library reveals about
a hundred uses of the *args syntax.  a quick look at those
didn't bring up a single function that uses *args to read an
unbounded number of heterogenous arguments.

(I'm sure you can find one or two if you look hard enough,
but that doesn't make it "almost certain" that *args implies
a homogenous sequence of arguments ;-)

Cheers /F