Python Risk

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Wed May 9 12:05:29 EDT 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Daniel Klein wrote:

>Dear Python Community,
>
>I'm now a strong Python advocate but a question that seems to be comming up
>quite a bit lately is, what would happen to the language if something happened
>to our BDFL (aka GVR)? Would the language stagnate or is there enough of a
>'machine' out there to continue its evolution and support?

Python is not a risk at all, because it is Freeware (aka Open Source):

Its user base is very active, and while there will be enough interest
in it, there will be somebody who will develop it. (There are enough
projects which will better develop Python to match their needs than
switch to some other language).

GvR has a good sense in language aestetics - that is why Python is Python.
If "something happens" to GvR, Python's fate will be in other people's
hands, but I do not think it will be more messed up syntactically
than Perl ;-) Because design goals are clear.

Python is also LESS risk than closed source solution, because
you know people who develop it, you can usually write to them
and receive an answer.

If you plan some grand multi-$ project, you probably could help
secure your position by supporting the development of libraries
you need (if they are too specific).

>Your answer is kindly appreciated.
>
>Daniel Klein
>Portland, OR USA

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Wednesday, May 09, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/