win32com: gencache problem

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sun May 20 21:51:11 EDT 2001

[posted and mailed]

mvonehr at web.de (Markus von Ehr) wrote:

>I´m using Gordon´s installer 3j for Python 2.0 and the win32com
>extensions by
>Mark Hammond. In my program I only use the win32com.client.dynamic
>interface
>for the communication with IExplorer.
>The "frozen" version reports a gencache error: the gen_py/__init__.py
>file
>is not found in the win32com.__gen_path__ directory.
>
>Gordon MacMillan told me a solution that finally worked:

This morning I put out 4a1, which gives you much more complete support.
You can even use gencache.EnsureModule and generate support on the target
machine.

>Why is the win32com.client.dynamic interface looking for the gencache?

I'm don't know why. I do know that the gen_py related stuff used to be
conditional imports (in the Python 1.5 timeframe), but became absolute
imports in more recent releases. So it seems if you use anything in
win32com.client, you get the whole shebang.

- Gordon