Long names are doom ?

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Fri May 25 20:01:45 EDT 2001

Well, while I don't think I've used (many? any?) identifiers that were longer than 31
characters, I do routinely use ones that are in the 14-18+ character range.

A script that I am currently developing has the following function names and identifier
names (among others):

123456789012345678901234567890
PrintErrorToLogFile = 19 chars
GypsyMailHomePage = 17 chars
FatalErrorPage = 14 chars
PrintHTTPHeader = 15 chars
PrintClosingHTMLTags = 20 chars
PrintMissingFieldError = 22 chars

OK, so none of them are over 31 characters. I guess that does seem a *little* bit long.
But in general, when I've tried to force my identifiers shorter, I forget what they mean.
This way, with the identifiers I'm using above, I find my code to be much more readable
and nearly self-documenting.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/