Sockets manual for Python

Daniel Klein danielk at aracnet.com
Sat May 26 10:19:26 EDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001 23:58:02 -0700, Jonathan Gardner <gardner at cardomain.com> wrote:

>Okay folks, here's a reasonable request. Because I can't find a decent
>tutorial on sockets in Python, I want to compile a ton of information on
>python sockets. There is a lot of stuff people need to know about sockets
>and processes and such before they go and write a server, and I wanted to
>try and collect all that information into one place. (man perlipc is a good
>example, but it is too limited).
>
>So, if you have a python tutorial about sockets you have written, send me
>the url. If you have some python code that uses sockets, and you think it

Try "Programming Python 2nd Ed" by Mark Lutz (be sure to get the _Second Edition_). Chapter 10 on
Networks has excellent code examples that demysifies much of the complexity of socket programming.
It covers many topics including forked servers, threaded servers, client code and much much more
(too much to even try to summarize).

The book is 1200+ pages covering everything from the mundane (like a short program to display the
__doc__ documentation) to complete GUI applications. I can't say enough good things about this book;
it has already paid for itself in time saved.

Just buy it! You won't be disappointed!

Dan