O(n^2) is bad - can it be fixed?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat May 26 18:17:11 EDT 2001

[Tim]
> Bruce explained it in detail a few msgs back:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&
>     ic=1&th=8fb1dd7dabf75024,41&seekm=
>     3B0DED72.41317BCE%40accessone.com#p

[Isaac]
> I do read messages of others.  What I don't understand is exactly
> what Bruce didn't: why in the hell that "old heap" is not freed.  For
> this to happen, there must be some "small chunks of memory" allocated
> for Python every other 4M space ...

Na, here's a straight C program that does nothing but reallocs:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <malloc.h>

void
main()
{
	size_t CHUNK = 100;
	size_t size = CHUNK;
	char* p = (char*)malloc(CHUNK);

	for (;;) {
		size += CHUNK;
		p = (char*)realloc(p, size);
		if (!p) {
			fprintf(stderr, "out of memory, at %u\n", size);
			exit(1);
		}
	}
}

Compiled in release mode under MSVC 6, and run on a Win98SE box with 256MB
RAM, it died with

out of memory, at 5906500

Doubling the size each time works much better -- the first time.  But when I
put that in a loop, the OS froze solid at about the sixth iteration, and a
reboot was needed.  That may be coincidence, but I don't care enough to try
it again.

If you can't let this go, I suggest asking Microsoft very nicely to let you
look at the Windows source code <wink>.

In the meantime, the change I checked in lets Python get away with growing a
list to about 140MB on Win98SE before realloc() craps out.