making a web page with interactive figures

Andy Elvey andy.elvey at paradise.net.nz
Wed May 16 05:56:23 EDT 2001

 .... and another option may be Rebol  (http://www.rebol.com).  It can
certainly do what you mention , and has *very* elegant and concise syntax.
Free , but not strictly "open-source"  (although it is possible to see the
source-code of its "mezzanine" functions - those that are written in Rebol
itself  (and there are many .... ) .

 An open-source "work-alike" of Rebol is being put together at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSCAR-PROJECT

 ( Oscar  -  Open Source Code Aka Rebol )  .

Steve Purcell <stephen_purcell at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> tla wrote:
> > 1)  Display two graphs, and when the user selects (clicks on) a point in
one
> > graph, have the other graph refresh with a new picture based on the
selected
> > point.
> >
> > 2) (I think this is harder than #1.)  Given two simple figures, A and B,
each
> > composed of just few arrows and boxes, etc. , I would like to allow the
user to
> > grab (click and hold) an object in A, and move it around smoothly, and
while
> > this is being done, smoothly update the objects in B, in some
predetermined way,
> > depending on what's happening in A.
> >
> > 3)  For any state in #1 and #2, generate a stereo sound file from two
NumPy
> > arrays and allow the user to listen to this.
> >
> > I assume, especially, for 2, but possibly for 1 and 3, that the user
will need
> > to have an executable that automatically runs on their computer.  Is
this the
> > way this would work?  What are my options for this?  If I can't use
Python for
> > these, what should I use?
>
> Two possible choices are
>
>   1. Java applets
>   2. Python CGIs plus scripted Flash (http://opaque.net/ming)
>
> -Steve
>
> --
> Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
> Get testing at http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/
> Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not necessarily those of
Yahoo