Whither SmallScript? (was Re: Integer micro-benchmarks)

Andrew Hunt andy at toolshed.com
Tue May 1 07:11:54 EDT 2001

On Tue, 01 May 2001 16:49:37 +1200, Greg Ewing <see at my.signature> wrote:
> Andrew Hunt wrote:
> >
> > Here, class Foo inherits from class Bar.  Except that class Bar is just an
> > expression that returns a Class object.  In this case it's a constant, but
> > you could just as easily have:
> >
> > class Foo < someMagicRoutine(someArgument, somethingElse)
>
> Just thought I'd check whether Python can do this
> too, and it can:

Excellent.  Glad to hear it.  Can you continue to dynamically add methods
to classes at runtime? (I would guess yes, but thought I'd ask).  Can
you be notified when this happens?

But really, folks, I don't want to get into a "my language can beat up
your language debate".  Python is a fine and capable language. I
personally do not care for the whitespace thing, the use of magic
__method__ names, having to use the self. prefix for instance
variables, and (IIRC) parts of the object model.  I like Ruby because
it follows the Principle of Least Surprise -- once you know the basic
philosophy and rules, there are few exceptions to remember.  You can
guess at stuff you do not know and it works, first time.  I've not had
that effect happen with any other language, including Python.

/\ndy