Python Add-In for Rational Rose?

Alexandre Fayolle alf at orion.logilab.fr
Mon May 21 03:52:29 EDT 2001

On Sun, 20 May 2001, Oliver Korpilla <korpo at 01019freenet.de> wrote:
>I asked not long ago if anyone knows if there is an add-in that supports
>Python in Rational Rose. I got lots of answers, which UML tools are better.
>Some of them 1000s of bucks expensive!

Hey, Oliver, it sounds like you don't know the price of Rational Rose ;o)

I'm sorry, I had not understood that you were a student (it is not obvious
from your mail address, and I don't think you specified the fact in your
original question). So basically you're stuck with Rose.

>I tried some other tools, but the only professional tool I have (on
>university computer with edu license) is Rational Rose still, and so my
>original question
>remains:
>has anybody done the work to generate a Python add-in for Rational Rose?

If nobody said so, and you could not find anything using your favorite search
engine, then the answer is probably 'no'.

Now, depending on your Rose version, it may be possible to export your models
using the petal format (this is the Rose internal format), or XMI. XMI is an
XML representation of an UML model. These models can be parsed and used to
generate code. Using XMI can be done with XSLT transformations.

So, I'm sorry I have no code for this (though I intend to keep on working on
pypasax (http://www.logilab.org/pypasax, which intends to do the oposite thing,
namely getting some python code and generating UML for it), but the above is
how I'd do it if I were to code such thing.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).