Build Python2.1 fails on Solaris in readline, crypt

Clive Page cgp at le.ac.uk
Tue May 22 11:13:35 EDT 2001

I am trying to build Python v2.1 on Sparc/Solaris 2.6 using gcc version
2.95.2 and get a huge number of lines of error messages when building
readline and crypt extension modules, the output looked like this [with a
lot of lines snipped in the middle]:

ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
WARNING: building of extension "readline" failed: command 'gcc' failed
with exit status 1
building 'crypt' extension
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC
-I. -I/export/data2/cgp/Python-2.1/./Include -I/usr/local/include
-IInclude/ -c
gcc -shared build/temp.solaris-2.6-sun4u-2.1/cryptmodule.o
-L/usr/local/lib -lcrypt -o build/lib.solaris-2.6-sun4u-2.1/cryp
Text relocation remains                         referenced
    against symbol                  offset      in file
_des_setkey                         0x4
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(crypt.o)

[snip huge number of lines like these]

free                                0x2bc
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(des_crypt.o)
free                                0x2c0
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(des_crypt.o)
malloc                              0x2ec
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(des_crypt.o)
_thr_setspecific                    0x2fc
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(des_crypt.o)
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
WARNING: building of extension "crypt" failed: command 'gcc' failed with
exit status 1

I don't think I care much about the crypt module, but the failure to build
readline looks rather more serious.   Does anyone have any idea what is
wrong?

--
Clive Page,                               /"\  ASCII ribbon
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,              \ /  campaign against