Why isn't Python king of the hill?

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at dolphin.openprojects.net
Wed May 23 17:03:58 EDT 2001

On 23 May 2001 12:53:04 -0700, Mark H wrote:
>The more I use Python, the more I wonder why it hasn't taken the wind
>out of Java's sails?  Now, don't get me wrong, I love Java, but I have
>found I am at least twice as productive in Python than Java, and there
>seems to be very little if anything that you cannot do in Python or a
>Python extension.  Is it because Java has a few big companies behind
>it while Python doesn't?

For the most part, yes.  Sun can afford to pay people to write books on
Java.  And the more books on it, the more visibility there is in the minds
of people who peruse the bookshelves in stores.  Moreover, I remember Sun
holding all sorts of conferences and symposiums when Java first hit the
streets, illustrating how Java can be used in various markets.

I don't see anything of this sort of organization and magnitude coming from
the Python community today.

Also, consider that Java and Python are designed to serve two different
markets.  Python is a host scripting language, while Java is a platform
independent binary representation for software.  Therefore, Java hit the
"portable applet" market at the right time with just the right technology to
catch people's fancy.  Python didn't address this market, and still doesn't
today (at least, not with the same amount of fervor Java had back then).

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II