Python Risk

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed May 9 13:50:43 EDT 2001

Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> writes:

> I believe that since every version of Python I have ever seen
> released has been released with a license to freely construct
> derived works, nobody in the world is truly "in charge" of Python
> development. Perhaps they control the trademark -- but not
> really anything more than that.

Given the Python license, everybody could continue to develop it,
modify it, and so on. However, the PSF was specifically founded to
hold the intellectual property (see http://www.python.org/psf/), so it
was specifically created to support Python development, and to make it
independent from individual developers, or individual corporations.

Regards,
Martin