ConfigParser module in 1.52 is buggy?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at home.com
Tue May 29 21:19:22 EDT 2001

In systems where you have a plugin architecture with Python, it's pretty
easy to add an updated library module (such as ConfigParser) to the plugin's
local directory.  Updates to the core Python dll aren't a big target.  It's
updated libraries that are really likely to be useful.  Being able to use
those libraries in the old systems is quite useful when you're not yet able
to update the core.  (I've done this taking ConfigParser and zipfile from
newer versions for use in 1.5.2 systems).  Sending a 1-file update with
really well understood changes is considerably less involved than updating
the core library, all of the libs, all of the 3rd party modules, etceteras.
Note, though, that you _could_ drop in an updated version of the core
library as well, it's just most people don't seem to need that, as 1.5.2
basically just worked.

Downloads, incidentally, aren't measuring installed base unless you're
comparing cumulative totals and including all of the installations with Unix
distributions (including those ISPs that have installed Python 'cause they
didn't think not to do it).  Since the people staying with 1.5.2 aren't
likely going to be re-installing it, they aren't likely going to show up
there.

Oh well, I'll let those who are passionate about installed user base (namely
those who have one) carry this torch forward :) .

Enjoy,
Mike