Spam handling (was Re: WWW.FNORB.COM)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu May 24 16:54:43 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.990721935.5746.python-list at python.org>,
Oleg Broytmann  <phd at phd.fep.ru> wrote:
>On 24 May 2001, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>Oleg:
>>>
>>>   SpamCop.net did a good job for me about this message.
>>
>> You can't be sure of that.  If the original message used false headers,
>> the netnews spam will contain the false headers.
>
>   It seems you've never tried SpamCop! It does amazing job digging real
>information from even false headers!!!

That's only true if the true headers don't get stripped.  I just
checked, and Mailman does preserve the original Received: headers -- but
only on the mailing list.  The mail->news gateway definitely strips
those Received: headers, and that's what SpamCop uses to figure out
where the spam came from.  That is, SpamCop relies on the fact that
people forwarding e-mail haven't munged the headers, and therefore the
last connection listed in the Received: headers *has* to be valid.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"You do not make history; you can only hope to survive it."  --G'kar