Language comparisons

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at philips.com
Wed May 9 02:55:39 EDT 2001

<...snip...>
> > ..Thanks for the website, keep up the good work!
>
> You're welcome!  I'll try to keep improving it as it goes along.  All
> constructive criticism is gladly received.
>
> Cheers,
> Doug

After studying the site more I really appreciate the contents. Your
scorecard is a very nice way to customize towards your own criteria.

One of the items you are obviously struggling with is the balance
between the different criteria: do you program to optimize
time-to-result, maintenance, performance or memory usage? This question
pops up for every individual test.

A solution might be to do something comparable with SPEC: have a BASE
test, which is programmed straightforward and also run an OPTIMIZED
test, which is optimized for production environments (fast and low
memory usage, at the cost of more development time and perhaps larger
loc).

Another suggestion is to look for one "larger" benchmark, doing some
real-life work. From loc point of view that might be a more "realistic"
comparison.

Regards Gerrit
Gerrit Muller                Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven
Building:   WLp 1 17                    Prof. Holstlaan 4
Phone: +31 40 27 45242               5656 AA  Eindhoven
Fax:   +31 40 2743741          The Netherlands
mailto:gerrit.muller at philips.com
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/index.html