cgi dat coruption by Internet Explorer 5.0

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 18:06:54 EDT 2001

"Micheas" <micheas at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p%AL6.93$gc1.8138 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> >>  IE at seemingly random times return 5 character values that begin
> >> with a '+' and end with '-' and three letters in the middle for commas,
> >> ampersands, dollar signs, etc. This only happens about 5% of the time
> >
> > What HTTP headers is your cgi script returning, exactly?  It looks like
>
> <HTML>
> <Head>
> </Head>
>
> Is the output of the script.
> should content-type be something else? or should I be specifying the
> encoding with a meta tag? and if so what should it be?

take the place of the "???".  I assume that when you say IE "returns"
certain strings, you mean it _displays_ them, right?  You're sure that
you are sending, for example, a $ character, and what you see displayed
in IE is +xyz- for some letters xyz?  You can check on exactly what you
are sending by using as the client a simple Python script, btw.

Alex