GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 17 19:05:08 EDT 2001

In article <9e1gof0o7l at enews1.newsguy.com>, Alex Martelli wrote:

>In just about everything else, I think Linux is superior.  I've done
>very partial tests with one app that is key for me (a double dummy
>bridge-play engine which I drive from Python for my research, which
>is commercially sold for both Windows and Linux), but the speed
>for such a purely-computational app seems about 20% better on
>Linux vs Win98 (better memory mgmt, I suspect -- better filesystem
>may count for a little, but, it IS mostly computation).

Nah, it's the CPU.  Intel has a rather marked dislike for
Microsoft, and they've secretly put features in their CPUs so
that they actually execute instructions faster under Linux.

Don't tell anybody...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Where's the Coke
                                  at               machine? Tell me a joke!!