*Real* Python on a PDA

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Thu May 24 18:44:35 EDT 2001

In article <3dy9rp2ij6.fsf at mems-exchange.org>, akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
says...
> "Jeff Kunce" <kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us> writes:
> > rough as a PDA, but it's a great toy for Linux fans. Python
> > 1.5.2 and 2.1 have both been ported - and I'm talking
> > about full python here - not like the deploy-only version
> > for the Palm. pyFLTK is even available for GUI work.
>
> How much free memory does a running Python process have on the
> machine?  Enough to build a sizable UI or crunch a moderately large
> amount of data?  And has anyone built any apps in Python for it?
> (I've been speculating about getting an Agenda for a while; bonus
> points if the Agenda could prove useful at work...)
>
> --amk

There is a linux/python implementation for the Compaq iPaq which seems
quite nice. I think after linux and X are loaded, there is about 16mb of
ram left on the 32mb model - and that would be 48mb on the new 64mb model
- if you can get one. If you're really greedy for storage space, the ibm
micro drive fits into the pc sleeve (better choice the the CF sleeve
since trying to get the micro-drive out of the CF sleeve can damage the
drive) and then you have up to 1gb of whatever in your pocket.

I think that the iPaq is far and away the very best pda out there right
now - even in spite of Win/CE. Best screen - you really can read it in
broad daylight and it's even TOO bright in most indoor situations so you
have to turn down the backlight. Fastest processor by as much as a factor
of 8x (ok, comaring it to a Palm is a bit harsh :) - comparing Apples and
Apples it's from 25% to 120% faster then other win/ce pdas). Intersting
too that Compaq essentially sponsored the linux port too - or at least
didn't prevent their research group from doing it and making it
publically available.

http://www.handhelds.org for info on linux, python and bsd on handhelds.

Dave LeBlanc