Against PEP 240

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu May 31 21:07:26 EDT 2001

[Tim]
> Jurjen N.E. Bos contributed a Python implementation of the constructive
> reals several years ago. ...

[David C. Ullrich]
> Really? You don't happen to recall where I can find this, do you?
>
> (Um: or are you referring to the celebrated real.py?

Right.

> At least in the version of real.py I have the reals have arbitrary
> but predetermined finite precision. If that's what you meant never mind.

You have to represent reals as string-form function evaluations, then hook
into the machinery that re-evaluates them with ever-increasing precision.
It's barely documented and difficult to reverse-engineer.  The only "out of
the box" way to do it is via the interactive functions that keep printing
more and more digits until you interrupt them.  It's not enough *just* to
use the Real class.  If I ever get a free month, I'd like to package that
machinery for non-interactive demand-driven use via a new class (which I
expect is more what you have in mind).

> Those wacky reals. Makes you wonder how they got the name.

Probably some Dutch guy; heck, they even name languages after snakes.