Redhat 7.1 and Python 2.1

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed May 23 04:11:23 EDT 2001

C.L (no at spam.org) wrote:

> When I download the Redhat RPMs from Python.org, I keep getting an error
> that ther following libraries are required:
>
> libssl.so.0
> libcrypto.so.0
>
> Any ideas how to get these packages, I tried rpmfind.net, but could not find
> these.

They look as if they come from OpenSSL, although libcrypto is likely
to be from another package, if I remember correctly.

> - Why doesn't Redhat ship with Python 2.1?  The 1.5.2 it ships with is a
> little dated isn't it?

Red Hat may be on their high horse about the supposed GPL
incompatibility of Python, or it might just mean that they need to
modify some of their system administration programs for 2.x and
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Regards,

Paul