use of import of PIL incorrectly documented, or is it just me ?

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Fri May 4 08:43:12 EDT 2001

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

> I'm using PIL as a package to avoid clashes with other Image(s) and find
> that it doesn't save PNG format files unless I do a
>
> from PIL import PngImagePlugin
>
> is the behaviour different when the PIL files aren't on the path?

That's a bug in PIL up to 1.1.1. If PIL is installed purely as a
package, that is, when the PIL directory is not in sys.path, then only a
few standard plugins are recognized because they're explicitly imported
in Image.py. PIL 1.1.2 finally fixes this (well, at least 1.1.2c1 does
for me).

  Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/