Obsolesence of <>

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 31 23:37:05 EDT 2001

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 04:10:27 +0100, Jose' Sebrosa <sebrosa at artenumerica.com> wrote:

>As far as I remember from my first subject on Calculus or so,
>the set of Complex Numbers has *not* the property of being
>ordered. So, from the mathematical point of view, it makes no
>sense to ask questions like "which of two given complex numbers
>is smaller".

Right.  It makes equally as little sense to ask which of "foo"
and 3.98 is smaller, but that's allowed, and returns a
consistent (and often useful) value.

In 2.1, strings are larger than floats, in case you're curious.

It was sometimes useful to know that you could always compare two
objects.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Someone is DROOLING
                                  at               on my collar!!