Python Tutorial 4 Newbies?

Sloth mt_horeb at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 08:09:00 EDT 2001

"Peg Leg" <bob at bob.net> wrote in message news:<on0R6.212$634.264337 at news.pacbell.net>...
> I am absolutely brand new to programming and it was suggested to me that
> Python would be the one to learn because of it's ease of use and power. Does
> anyone know of any online tutorial or book that may be purchased that is
> geared towards the village idiot? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Peg Leg

You certainly picked a great lang to learn.  Not only is the syntax
straightforward, but there are plenty of great online tutorials geared
towards new programmers.  My favorites are:
1) Learning to Program (by Alan Gauld) -
http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld (this one assumes no prior
programming experience)
2) Guido's Python Tutorial - www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html
(assumes a bit more knowledge, but not overwhelming)
3) How to Think Like a Computer Scientist -
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/ (another great introductory
tutorial)
4) Dive Into Python - http://www.diveintopython.org - this one assumes
that you've been programming for a while.  It's worth visiting after
you've gone through the other tutorials and have created a few
programs of your own.  I personally think that this tutorial is
fantastic - very well written.

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Jeremy.