Range Operation pre-PEP

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri May 11 05:19:01 EDT 2001

you wrote:

> Ben claimed that tuples should only be used when you know
> how many elements there will be, and that lists should only be
> used for homogeneous data of unknown length.

ben didn't use "should only".  you made that up.

to get closer to what he really said (original post plus clarification),
you can change "should only" to "should", in the IETF sense [1].

> > ben's right.  tuples are records, lists are containers.  anyone who
> > has written (or studied) real-life python programs knows that.
>
> That's quite the claim.  Are you saying that my Python programs are
> not "real-life" Python programs?

no, I'm saying that anyone who has written or studied real-life
python programs knows that tuples don't work well as containers,
and lists don't work well if you try to use them as records.  that's
a fact, not an opinion.

as for your programs -- well, I haven't seen a single line of code
from you.  if you spent more time writing and sharing code, and
less time trolling (etc)

Cheers /F

1) http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

    "SHOULD. This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that
    there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
    carefully weighed before choosing a different course."

    (my english dictionary doesn't disagree with the IETF, of course)

(btw, is it just me, or did someone just hack IETF.org?  who's
Steve Nash?)