Does Python have Class methods

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Fri May 11 17:53:08 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9d9fk70gmr at news1.newsguy.com...

> Right, but that supports "static methods" a la C++ rather than "class
> methods" a la Smalltalk.  Another alternative for "static methods" is at
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/Recipe/52304, for
> example.  Thomas Heller has also put up a Cookbook recipe, at
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/Recipe/52311,
> which exemplifies how to support "real" (Smalltalk-ish) class methods.
>

> Alex

Thought I had answered this, but it seems my message didn't make it...
So I try again:

What about something like this:

   def double(self, x): return x*2

   class Math:
       double = double

This works like a class method, doesn't it?

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick