Solaris Weirdness with 2.1

Tom Loredo loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Wed May 16 14:11:36 EDT 2001

Howdy-

I'm just installing Python 2.1 on Solaris 5.7.  I had no problems
with Python 2.1 itself (though it did skip readline; I just ignored
that for now).  I had the "Text relocation..." errors when compiling
PIL 1.1.2.  They went away if I changed the shared library linking
command from "gcc -shared" to "ld -G".  I'm not sure what the problem
was there, because "gcc -shared" seemed to work fine for building
Numeric 20.0.0.

I'm currently trying to build cephes-1.3, but having troubles like
those just mentioned.  I have had occassional trouble building
shared libraries for Python under Solaris since my first Python
(1.5.2).  For my own modules, I always use "ld -G".  Note that
the man file for gcc on Solaris indicates that "-shared" is
supported by "only a few systems."  I wonder if its support
under Solaris is only partial.  Or it may just be that some
libraries need to be added to the link list, or updated.  Just
speculating....

Peace,
Tom Loredo