DoEvents equiv?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 11 07:39:44 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli:
> ...  ALas... DDEML (the library that MS,
> lo so many years ago, wrote and distributed to make it easier to use
> the DDE IPC protocol) does exactly that.  This bug has been known and
> well-documented on MSDN for 6 years.  Microsoft does not plan to fix
> it -- no doubt part of their plans to kill DDE in favour of COM based
> protocols (which are indeed vastly preferable IPC approaches -- _but_
> some application developers are stubbornly clinging to DDE anyway...
> and they tend to use DDEML, _with_ its bug [that they may be unaware
> of], rather than raw DDE window-messages [harder to use, sigh]).

    I'd move the sigh away from any hardship involved in using the raw DDE
messages onto the application developers that have believed that DDEML would
make DDE easier. Debugging a DDEML application requires understanding both
DDEML and the underlying DDE messages because that is the level on which the
debugging tools like DDESpy work reliably and is also how most servers are
documented. DDEML calls map almost 1:1 onto DDE calls/messages and provide
no real benefit in terms of producing a higher level interface.

    Among the many programs that use DDEML rather than rolling their own
more robust DDE are useful applications like PythonWin and Mozilla and hence
Komodo.

   Neil