Using wxPython Resource Utilities

Robin Dunn robin at stop.spam.alldunn.com
Tue May 1 01:26:13 EDT 2001

"Steve Hawkins" <shawkins at imsconsultants.com> wrote in message
news:mS4H6.763$BM2.271870 at news1.news.adelphia.net...
> I would like to make use of one of the wxWindows resource editors with
> Python.  As near as I can tell, there currently 2 available.  There's the
> wxWindows Dialog Editor  that comes with the wxWindows distribution (at
> least the Win32 one) and there's a commercial product called wxDesigner.
> Can anyone recommend one over another?

The WXR resource format as well as the Dialog Editor is being deprecated as
it's not up to date with all the control types available, and the Dialog
Editor is fairly limited.

There's a new resource format that is XML based and should be in wxPython
real soon now.  wxDesigner already supports it and can also generate C++,
Python or Perl code.  I imagine that the other IDEs and tools (wxWorkshop,
Boa Constructor, etc.) will be supporing it in time as well.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman