Is this a bug?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon May 14 17:38:18 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> I fully agree on the latter assertion.  Your proposal about <% seems
> vastly inferior to me than the current raw-string, whose only limitation
> is being unable to END a rawstring with an odd number of \, while in
> your proposal we'd be in trouble with rawstring CONTAINING any
> occurrence of the chosen terminating-substring at ANY place.

Of course, current rawstrings pretty much have the same limitation
about containing the terminating-substring.  That's because while you
could quote it, because it's "raw" the quote would remain which you
wouldn't want.  So you'd need to go back to a fully quoted string, or
build up the segments of the string individually around the delimiter.

Not that I'm complaining mind you - I think the current Python string
literals are about as rational as any approach to the problem.

--
-- David