Range Operation pre-PEP

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Thu May 10 11:05:12 EDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

>At 15:38 10/05/01 +0400, Roman Suzi wrote:
>>There is no demand for syntactically supported ranges?
>
>Yes, I think it would be a nice addition, and I'm sure we're not alone -
>many people on the group contributed with ideas on this topic. While I
>understand that there are some issues with the proposal - including or
>excluding the upper limit, using braces to delimit the range, or how to
>specify the step operator - I believe that the concerns are mostly in the
>reaction-to-change field.
>
>So, if we can propose a new syntax that:
>
>- is clear for both novices and experienced Python programmers

Then it must be asymmetrical, like   "->" to remind that
right end is exclusive.

>- does not break anyone's code

Its up to the syntax. I hope, solution from [;.:=!@#$%^&|\-_~]{2}
will be found, not some word.

>- is consistent with related features (slicing and list comprehensions)

Yes, this will be automatically if it will be incl-excl range
and will not interfer with [, :, ]

>... there will be no real reason not to make it.
>
>let's talk about facts, not emotions, ok?

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Thursday, May 10, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/