php alternatives in python

Geoff Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Thu May 31 11:35:51 EDT 2001

At 01:56 PM 5/31/01 +0000, Scott Hathaway wrote:

>I am just researching.  Here is my problem.  My company writes all of our
>api's (engines) with Python (when cross-platform is needed) or VB (when COM
>is needed).  Then, we use PHP for any web work.  So, when I try to replace a
>programmer or hire a new one, I have to find someone who is versed in PHP,
>Python, and VB.  This is not an easy task.  It would really help if I could
>narrow things down to one language.
>
>Python could easily replace the COM needs that we gain from VB, but we do
>not have anyone in our office who can create a GUI in Python as easily or
>effectively as with VB.  I hope that Python.NET will change that.  So, if I
>can replace PHP with Python, we could do all of our development in one
>language.
>
>I have looked at Zope, but it seems more like Cold Fusion than ASP or PHP.
>I really want something like ASP or PHP, if possible.
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

Webware lets you use either Servlets (Python classes) or PSPs (Python
Server Pages -- Python embedded in HTML, just like ASP and PHP).  I
actually use a mixture of both -- I have some pages as Servlets, and some
as PSP's inherited from Servlets.  But you could certainly design a whole
site just using PSPs.

As far as stability and speed go, Webware seems very fast (if you deploy
using Apache and the special Apache Webware module) and stable, but since
I've never used PHP I have no idea how it compares.

For your GUI needs, I like wxPython using the commercial tool wxDesigner to
assist with the layout.  Once you get used to the way wxDesigner lays out
GUIs using sizers, you'll never want to go back to doing it the VB
way...  Admittedly, it will be a hard sell for people who have been using
VB for a long time, and there is a bit of a learning curve in learning
wxPython.  But Python is so much nicer as a language than VB that I'm
willing to put up with a somewhat more cumbersome GUI-building process to
be able to write all the code in Python.

--

- Geoff Talvola
   gtalvola at NameConnector.com