ConfigParser module in 1.52 is buggy?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at home.com
Tue May 29 08:34:21 EDT 2001

I seem to recall discussion of maintenance releases at some point in time.
Given that 1.5.2 is the largest installed base (or, at least, that's my
impression, I suppose I might be wrong), especially given the number of
embedded systems where Python is used as a scripting system (and therefore
updating is not possible for an end-user), I would consider updates to 1.5.2
to be a more important maintenance target then any of the later versions
(maintenance as distinct from new development).

1.6 has almost no installed user base, we were told from the beginning not
to use it. For 2.0 python programmers moved to it at about the time 2.1
became final, and many are still there waiting for modules to be compiled
for 2.1 before switching to that. So mostly anyone beyond 1.5.2 is a
"full-time" python programmer, quite willing to update once third party
modules are available.  For them, updating the entire system is preferable
to a bug fix release.  Whereas the 1.5.2 users are far more likely to be
unable/unwilling to update and in need of the minor patches and
enhancements.

As to whether I personally am interested in doing this maintenance release,
no.  I have things to draw, books to write, buildings to build, that kind of
stuff, and I will be cutting back to ten hours or so of hobby programming a
week at the end of this week, I have very little interest in making this the
bulk of that time (especially since I've already moved to 2.0 myself, this
really needs someone who has some investment in remaining with 1.5.2).

Dodge the bullet... ;)
Mike