Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

LeoDeBeo leodebeo at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 15:13:14 EDT 2001

i wanted to say something about the subject of learning cs
i'm graduating in economics option management information systems but man:
a lot of buzzwords are used, believe me. some people clearly don't know
about what they're talking
i'm also interested in very technical skills and learned to program on my
own in different languages to master the concepts of cs. I didn't know much
in the beginning but if i knew what i know now, i would have learned more
in a shorter time.
best way according to me
1) learn Python and basic linux administration
2) learn C en C++ and Java (preferably by studying common data structures
as trees, recursion, search algorithms, ...and some Gui stuff (Gnome, KDE
or whatever)
3) learn to configure some basic programs (dns, sendmail, apache)
4) evaluate what you learned by studying the linux sources (learning to
configure it too)
5) try some design language (UML and object oriented design)
6) learn about design patterns and frameworks (which you will automatically
encounter in previous steps without you knowing)
7) in the mean time, try to understand what databasesystems are all about
(object and relational database systems)
8) study some XML (you should have started some HTML with Python and CGI,
or learn PHP, oh no yet another language). XML and Python fit together, so
you can do XML earlier.
9) learn about application servers (Enhydra) and content management systems
(Zope or Midgard)
10) if you have time left: study some machine language for the joy of it.
11) people tell me that i should mention LISP but i'm content with the
functional features of Python

i didn't say this is an easy job ;-)
open source software and the net really are indispensible to get this
knowledge: beautiful times these are.
did i forget something ?
wrote this because i would have benefited from this list as a guideline
when i was (let's say) 16 (or so) and it might prove helpful to others. I
n fact isn't this a beautiful list for a cs-degree??

oh man shit i let myself go. is this still a message to be posted on the
python newsgroup?? ;-)

conclusion:
Python is the best starting point

Tip: if you really want to go further try Donald Knuths computer sciences
books.