perils of internationalisation

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Fri May 25 08:07:37 EDT 2001

At 11:11 25/05/01 +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
>A reportlab user reports setting LANG=greek and then finds the output of
>reportlab to be unreadable by acroread. After viewing the output I see
>that my floats are coming out with , instead of . for the decimal point.
>
>Are there any ways to control the decimal point character locally for
>functions like sprintf etc or must I write a special purpose output
>formatter? Alternatively should I whine at acrobat or do something else.

I've had the same problem with MS Excel. All PCs at my company use
Brazilian Portuguese localization. When I try to import text files from the
Unix world, first I have to filter all numeric values. Dates also exhibit
the same problem - D/M/Y format versus M/D/Y format.

While I understand that this problem is inherently connected with
internationalization issues, it's not an excuse for braindead software. We
should have some option to change localization temporarily for some
application, either as a software option, or a OS feature. However, this is
a *big* job that nobody seems to want to do.

Another take would be to have some way to change localization on a per file
basis. Can you imagine having problems to run Python scripts for a similar
reason?

Carlos Ribeiro