ANN: chess.py 1.0 -- Chess move adjudicator

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat May 19 01:49:07 EDT 2001

I've decided to start releasing most of the Python modules I've written
under GPL.  Before I get into ISP transfer hell this weekend, I put
together the first release of a chess adjudicator.  The official URL is
here:

    http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/chess/

Introduction

    This Python module does not how to *play* chess, but does
    understand the rules enough that it can watch moves and verify
    that they are correct.

Getting the software

    The software is available in a tarball here:
    http://www.alcyone.com/max/pyos/chess/chess-1.0.tar.gz.

    The official URL for this Web site is
    http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/chess/.

Features

    This module has the following features:

    - high abstraction

    - understands various notations, including algebraic, long
      algebraic, and standard algebraic notation (as in PGN); does
      disambiguation

    - supports saving and loading of the state of a game

    - not a trivial move processor; understands the intracies of the
      game

/  \ The more one is hated, I find, the happier one is.
\__/ Louis-Ferdinand Celine
    Kepler's laws / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/kepler/
 A proof of Kepler's laws.