inclusive-lower-bound, exclusive-upper-bound (was Re: Range Operation pre-PEP)

Andrew Maizels andrew at one.net.au
Sun May 13 18:11:38 EDT 2001

David LeBlanc wrote:

> In article <3AFC5DF2.AB13724C at one.net.au>, andrew at one.net.au says...
> <snip>
> > And C gets it from the hardware, which is perfectly understandable.
> > (Though C uses pointers for arrays and strings, which is hideous.)
> >
> <snip>
>
> So, Python's implicit use of pointers everywhere is hideous?

No; after all, you have to use pointers at some level.  And C's arrays
and strings (which are just arrays, which are just pointers) aren't bad
if you're programming at a low level.

Start using it to write applications and it's Memory Violation time and
Buffer Overflow Exploit of the Month Club.

Yes, it can (and has) been made to work.  But it's not much fun.

But (to get back to your question) Python's lists and strings operate at
a completely different (and far more friendly) level than C.  I know
which language I use when I just want to get something done.

Andrew.
--
There's only one game in town.
You can't win.