Python, Emacs and Lisp, revisited

Oliver Korpilla korpo at 01019freenet.de
Tue May 15 16:46:57 EDT 2001

Hi!

Some guy some weeks ago had the idea to extend Emacs to be extensible in
Python.

I stated in my reply that LISP is a functional language, and replies
stated I am
wrong with that.

"The first functional languages date from the 1960s, for example Lisp
and Iswim,
but these languages allowed features such as assignements that made them
less
'pure'." (F. Rabhi, G. Lapalme, "Algorithms - A Functional Programming
Approach")

Well, one of the most important parts of LISP is of course the extensive
use of
list recursion (LISP = LISt Processing language), and most of the syntax
is quite functional-style, from my point of view.

Lisp allows side-effects (assignment and reassignment of values), and
therefore
no "full" functional language.

Can we agree on the fact, that Lisp is that somewhat of a functional
language?

Ciao, Korpo