libraries for plotting

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Sat May 5 02:25:20 EDT 2001

John J Lee writes:

> Other libraries: Gnuplot.  That's the only one I know of that is working
> at the moment.  Anyone know of any others?

I've been using the gnu plotutils for most of my plotting.  I don't
do anything terribly clever; I just write out data files to /tmp,
call the graph utility on those files, then clean up.

It's fairly easy to wrap this in a python interface, so I never
even have to think about the details.

On the down side, I can only do very simple 2D plots, but I'm a
theorist, so that's good enough for me.  :-)  Since plotutils
can export things in xfig format, I can just use xfig to adjust
the plot and add extra labels, if I need to.

In general, I've been very impressed by the quality of the plots;
they're much prettier than anything I've been able to get out of
gnuplot.

Hope that helps,

--Johann

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu