Which GUI Lib?

Boudewijn Rempt boudewijn at tryllian.com
Tue May 15 05:47:29 EDT 2001

Bruce Sass wrote:

> How much of a barrier is there to PyQt for Windows users?
> If I understand it correctly... PyQt is free, but Qt is not, so all
> you need is the Qt libs to compile your own PyQt -- can these be from
> any app you have that uses Qt, or do you need stuff you can only get
> from a Qt source distribution (included in BlackAdder, ya?)?
>
> I guess I'm really wondering if PyQt will have any life outside of the
> commercial arena, and figuring it may if any Windows user with a Qt
> based app on their box can get PyQt to work (or is that really naive).

You cannot compile PyQt with the qt.dll that might have received
with another application: you need header files for that. To write an app
and redistribute it using the runtime components received with another
application written using BlackAdder, might be quite illegal, I think. So
you cannot get developing with PyQt with just any Qt-based Windows
app or BlackAdder developed app on your machine.

On the other hand, if you can get the GPL version of Qt to compile on
Windows (which should not be a too arduous task, merely redoing all the
low-level stuff like drawing, network code, threading and stuff, nothing
special, really), then you can compile PyQt and distribute the result
without any problems.

As for me, I only see Windows when my children want to play Levende Letter
or other educational games, so I'm quite satisfied with Qt, Qt Designer
and PyQt ;-).

--
Boudewijn | http://www.valdyas.org