Compiling an Extension on AIX!!!

Martin Franklin martin.franklin at westerngeco.com
Thu May 31 06:20:30 EDT 2001

All,

Recently I have been creating and compiling 'c' extensions
on my *nix platforms (Linux, Solaris, IRIX and yes AIX!)

The extensions make some calls to some legacy code we have
lying around.  I make them by hacking the Python make system

On al other platforms it compiles first time every time;-)
on AIX however I was getting the following message from make:-

[compo:bpse:/SRC/python/Extending/NewFileInfo/aix4]
14 % make
        xlc   -DIBMRS   -O -I/usr/local/include/python2.0
-I/usr/local/include/python2.0 -I/legacy/code/src/include
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c -q32 ./NewFileInfo.c
"/usr/include/sys/socket.h", line 76.21: 1506-247 (S) Incompatible type
specifier "int".

Stop.

So i looked in /usr/include/sys/socket.h and at line 76:-

typedef __ulong32_t socklen_t;

Then I tracked where it was being defined as an int........

/usr/local/include/python2.0/config.h

Around line 147

/* Define to `int' if <sys/types.h> doesn't define.  */
#define socklen_t int

The wired thing is socklen_t is not defined in sys/types.h but
in socket.h so the comment makes no sense.

So I removed the offending #define and it compiles without error.....

Is this a bug and as such should I report it to the bug tracker
at sourceforge?

Thanks for your time,
Martin.