FAQs (was Re: win98: PY to EXE ?)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 03:11:58 EDT 2001

"Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de> wrote in message
news:slrn9h5m04.17p.gerhard.nospam at lilith.hqd-internal...
> On Mon, 28 May 2001 23:03:21 +0200, Sebastian Radestock wrote:
> >Hello Newsgroup,
> >how can I transform my own python source codes (*.py) to *.exe-files
under
> >windows 98? I want to use my python programs without the python command
> >line!
>
> See my response in the thread "Packaging Python". It's one thread above in
my
> newsreader. Btw. this is a Frequently Asked Question (probably one of the
most
> frequently asked). Can anybody add this to the FAQ, if it isn't there
already?

It IS there (4.28), albeit with an old (still-working, but not the
latest version) link to McMillan's installer.  Like (in my experience)
all frequently-asked questions (on EVERY Usenet group, btw), it doesn't
stop being asked frequently just because the answer is right there and
reasonably easy to find at http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html.  In
some groups the standard response to FAQ's is a rudely-worded "go
read the FAQ, you $^%*!" -- it STILL makes no difference: people don't
read FAQ documents, and keep frequently-asking the same old questions
over and over again anyway.  Oh well -- that's Usenet News.

Alex