Floating point errors?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Tue May 15 02:38:25 EDT 2001

[Greg Ewing]
> Is there even any such thing as a truly analog
> computer? Atoms have discrete energy levels...

I remember reading about Zeno's motion paradoxes as a kid, and thinking
"hmm -- there must be a particular distance that's the smallest distance
there is -- plus a smallest time".  Later, when I finally read the refutation
based on the mathematical convergence of 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... to 2, I
felt scammed.   Like, it's nice that this mathematical abstraction converges
under the rules of its game, but what do real numbers have to do with the
real world?

Luckily, I'm now old, and have given up my embarrassing youthful belief in
the real world instead.

if-this-is-reality-it-needs-major-refactoring-ly y'rs  - tim